Personal Specification: We are seeking an experienced, RICS qualified Building Surveyor, with significant knowledge of building and construction, problem solving and analytical thinking skills and an ability to think laterally and work autonomously. There is significant home/flexible working offered.
Role Summary: To be accountable for the delivery of all aspects of a high quality building surveying service of almost exclusively commercial property assets across the South West in accordance with the firm’s contractual obligations to its clients and good estate management practice, surveying properties, businesses and buildings and reporting back on the design, construction and repair that may be needed.
Key Responsibilities & Attributes:
- Surveying properties, producing Schedules of Condition, defect analysis and making recommendations for repairs with a high degree of autonomy, but delivered within contractual and statutory requirements, efficiently and effectively to maximise returns for our clients and profitability for this firm. Assess damage for insurance purposes, establish who is responsible for building repair costs and advise clients on issues such as property boundary disputes. Complete detailed reports as necessary.
- To ensure that both the policies of Miller Commercial and practices of the RICS are consistently delivered to the required standards.
- Check properties to make sure they meet building regulations, and fire safety and accessibility standards, and ensure compliance with all relevant legislation.
- Deal with planning applications and advise on property law, building regulations and other legal matters such as health and safety. Act as an expert witness for our clients in property disputes.
- Advise on the health and safety aspects of buildings; advise on boundary and ‘right to light’ disputes and party wall procedures; prepare insurance assessments and claims. Advise on dilapidations, technical due diligence, contract administration and planned preventative maintenance.
- Receive, check, authorise and code invoices related to expenditure within the portfolio.
- Ensuring the portfolio complies fully with all aspects of Health & Safety and to keep full records recording those compliances.
- Provide comprehensive financial and operational reports tailored to your clients on an agreed frequency in an agreed format.
- In conjunction with the FM team plan and deliver planned cyclical property maintenance programmes as well as response repairs.