Graduate Surveyor – Commercial Agency
Salary: £22k + bonus
Role Summary: To assist the Head of Department and other Senior Agency Surveyors in the delivery of all aspects of a market leading commercial property agency service across the South West in accordance with the firm’s contractual obligations to its clients.
Responsible to: Head of Commercial Agency
Key Responsibilities & Attributes:
- Assist in the marketing of a diverse portfolio of commercial property with a high degree of autonomy, but delivered within contractual and statutory requirements, efficiently and effectively to maximise returns for our clients and profitability for this firm.
- To ensure that both the policies of Miller Commercial and practices of the RICS are consistently delivered to the required standards.
- To gain a thorough understanding of commercial property agency practices, ensuring proactive and effective marketing of our clients’ assets, lease and sale negotiation, clear concise communication to our clients, but also our customers, to effect the leasing and/or sale of our instructions.
- To have complete IT literacy, with particular emphasis on the use and manipulation of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel, within which you should be able to produce, programme or modify spreadsheets. Our database is run on Vebra Live, a bespoke property agency package.
- Obtain a thorough grounding in all types of commercial leases and property legislation and practice.
- Liaise in a timely manner with clients and colleagues in the management of leasehold and freehold agency instructions and be able to work with other departments in the business to be able to provide reasoned advice and basic leasehold and freehold market appraisals for our clients.
- To be responsible for conducting viewings at premises and meeting clients and applicants and demonstrate the inter-personal skills required to create effective business and professional relationships.
- To carry out property inspections and apply yourself to learning how to measure properties in line with current guidelines and understand how different types of property need to be measured. To be able to use computer software to measure land, boundaries and distances for reporting purposes.
- To be able to manage a busy diary of inspections, viewings and market appraisals efficiently.
- To receive enquires from tenants, clients, colleagues and other stakeholders concerning the portfolio and deal with those enquiries and issues in a professional and timely manner.
- Attend in-house training/CPD events as may be organised from time to time.
- Work in conjunction with the Senior Agency Surveyors and Head of Department towards achieving personal and team targets in accordance with the company’s performance management system.
- Assist with business development for both the department and firm by, for example, attending business networking functions which may include out of hours activities.
- To develop your professional network throughout the county, but also further afield.
- To enjoy and actively seek out networking events and opportunities.
- To have a professional work ethic and to work at a standard expected of a firm of Chartered Surveyors.
- Any other activity that may reasonably be required by the Partners from time to time.
As Chartered Surveyors and Business Property Specialists we offer market leading services across the South West as well as the wider UK.Clients are attracted by our breadth of experience, depth of knowledge, and the sheer number of transactions we successfully conclude. In 2018 we were named ‘Cornwall’s Most Active Agent’ for an 8th successive year by Estates Gazette, an incredible achievement and great testimony to the energy, dedication, and relentless hard work of our team.
Miller Commercial has roots dating back to the 1950s and became fully independent in 1994. The dynamic multi-disciplinary business of specialist departments has grown substantially since then, and with three Partners, our expert team now totals 23. This provides a stable platform for high quality, commercially driven property advice across a full spectrum of services.
Miller Commercial complies with the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors Rules of Conduct, Manual of Estate Agency and Practice and, in addition, operates its own Quality Assurance procedures.
Our core values stand for professionalism, quality, integrity and reliability. We actively embrace Equality and Discrimination principles within our working practices.
Our aim is to offer our clients a high level of knowledge, expertise, and professional advice. To help achieve that we have within our ranks:
• Accredited Trainers for RICS
• 5 Members of the RICS Valuer Registration Scheme.
• Professionals who sit on Clearing Bank Valuation Panels
• Members of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
• Members of the Rating and Valuers Institute
To help support and develop our team we run:
• An active Graduate Training Scheme
• An ISO 9002 Compliant Quality Assurance Policy
• Support for the RICS Lifelong Learning Training Programme which all of our team use to add to and refresh their skills
We are looking for a graduate with ideally a property related degree (real estate) to train to become a Commercial Agency Surveyor within our Commercial Agency Department. The successful candidate will be mentored through their APC by Brian Botting FRICS, who not only is a Partner of Miller Commercial but is also an APC assessor. Miller Commercial will pay for your APC and as long as you stay with us for a minimum of 12 months post qualification you will not have to pay anything towards this.
32 days holiday which includes statutory days. On successful completion of probationary period: Private Medical Insurance with BUPA which offers premiums at reduced rates. Cycle Scheme, a Government approved cycle scheme, which entitles staff to purchase a tax-free bike for work. Subsidised Car Parking Scheme. No company car but use of 2 pool cars / car allowance 45p per mile. This position comes with an iPhone and laptop for business use.
Normal working hours are Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm with an hour for lunch. However, staff can work in a flexible manner with the agreement of their Head of Department. For this position this would also include the ability to work from home, or out on site with remote access to our network.
We are a very sociable company with regular drinks after work on a Friday, curry nights, bowling, wine tasting and beach barbecues. It is a fun and dynamic environment to work in full of passionate and dedicated staff.
Please send your application to June Shields, Practice Manager via email using the ‘Apply Now’ button below.